Monday 23 July 2012

An overview of my food experience

Foooooooooood.

There are those that eat to live and others that live to eat. No prizes guessing which category yours truly falls under. I'm an Ipoh girl. We Ipohites know good food, having grown up surrounded by fresh produce, good and cheap hawker food. We know our silky smooth flat rice noodles, our crunchy fat beansprouts, our white kopi, bakuteh, toast with kaya, roast pig, curry noodles, popiah, wow... need I go on? I grew up eating my grandmother's cooking. Grandma was from Dongguan, China and boy was her cooking to die for. She used to steam, braise and stew to her heart's delight and I grew up appreciating good food.


When I went abroad to study in Perth, Australia, I had to learn how to cook simple and very basic meals. Dad would always tell me to don't skimp on food, go out and have a nice steak once in a while. And at that point in time I stayed off beef. I know, big mistake for that time period, right?  It was so good and fresh and affordable!! I stayed off beef for a good 20 years because I mistakenly thought I did not like the smell of it. I've started eating it again in 09 and I do enjoy a good steak once in a while now. Anyway, being in Perth in the late nineties meant eating out was great and affordable, even for a student.




After I graduated I started going into fine dining, appreciating great food and willing to travel great distances to hunt for good food. That went on for a couple of years until I had my son. Even then, as soon as he was old enough I'd bring him along on our foodie trips, trying restaurant after restaurant at whichever destination we went to.  My favourite foodie destinations are still Japan, Hong Kong and Australia. Oooooh I forgot, Spain too!

I still believe in good food, great fresh produce with minimal of fast food, preservatives and colouring. The difference is now that I'm in KL, the choices for dining are not that fantastic. Call me an Ipoh snob, but really, there's nothing much to shout about. I like some of the hawker food choices in here, and some Japanese and Korean restaurants but when it comes to western food... I'd rather cook these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment