Thursday 12 July 2012

Children from divorced families mature faster than average



Without the completeness of both a father and a mother around, most children tend to step up and fill the absent parent's role in the family. Now, I am no family psychologist nor have there been exhaustive research done on this, but it's just what I have observed in families around me. 

My son fulfils my need for affection and love very well. He senses that we are somehow different from other families but I would like to think that since the divorce happened when he was a babe in arms, he has not been too deeply traumatised. Seriously, better this than his earliest memories being mom and dad yelling at each other all the time. He never shies away from a hug or a kiss, he's more than willing to cuddle up next to me to watch tv. In fact, with him around, I feel complete. Obviously he comes up with gems sometimes that I just need to post... 



We were in a changing room last week and I was doing the saturday night fever dance. He rolls his eyes, looks at me and says, mom, you know that this changing room is semi transparent right? People can sorta see you dancing from out there. Hahahahaha... I thought that was really cool coming from a 9 year old. Maybe I'm the one that's regressing to childhood here, but he seems more adult by the day. I miss my little baby.

In contrast, I look at his friends, and even my nephews and they seem so kiddish. Now I can start doubting myself and wonder if I'm depriving him of a proper stressfree childhood, but neh... No thanks to that. I say we just chose the path less travelled, and we're having a hell of a great time skipping and prancing down it. 

Fabulosity indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment