Tuesday 17 July 2012

Gratitude


I was listening to a buddhist talk on my ipod the other day and I got this from it. We all have positive and negative elements in the unruly garden that is our mind. What thrives are mainly those items you have decided to isolate and focus on. He also goes on to say that there is a purpose for everything. As unpleasant and noxious manure is, when used correctly it will fertilise your fruit trees so that you get sweeter fruits from it.

Using what this monk has said and bringing that into our lives makes it easier to bear any difficult situation we are faced with. Life is such that nothing is guaranteed. Well, except death and taxes, that much we are sure of. You think that money will bring you happiness? Well guess what, no amount of Hermes bags or Ferraris will lure you out of your depression after a while. You think that being half of a couple will bring you happiness? LOL just ask anyone who's been married for 10 years or more. Having to adjust to someone else's foibles are usually more annoying than not.

There are problems that reach across the demographics. Everyone from all walks of life can and will find something to be unhappy about if they search hard enough. Bad things happen to good people and vice versa. Instead of questioning what the higher authority is doing or what happened to karma, we will do best to tackle the problem and move ahead in life. Before tackling them, first explore what the positives are in any situation. The way to do that is to be grateful.

Gratitude is an amazing part of life. When we start to be thankful about what we have and learn how to be content with it, life grows beautiful. It's never about how much you have, but how much you enjoy what you have that matters.

Let's count my blessings. Today I am thankful because

1. It's raining. The air smells great and it cools everything right down.

2. I have a cosy little abode that I am living in with my son. It's small, but it's me.

3. My friends that reach out to me from all over the world, constantly cheering me onwards and upwards. I love you peeps.

4. The amazing places that I've had the pleasure to visit and hopefully, many more to go.

5. The gastronomic delights I've indulged in, both high and low end. I love a roadside mamak stall as much as I do a 12 course fine dining lunch way across the world.

6. My 9yo son is happy, healthy and growing like a weed. He can be annoying sometimes, but that's part and parcel of parenthood. It's all good.

7. My health and disposition. I try to grow that by working out constantly and eating healthy. I'm a stickler for good food, be it bought or home cooked... more about that later...



What are you grateful for today?




No comments:

Post a Comment