Friday 20 July 2012

Skilled versus unskilled acts

Perhaps I should change the title of this blog to Buddhism and the single mom.



While I was listening to yet another talk the other day, Ajahn Brahm from Perth was explaining how Buddhism looks at acts not classifying them as good or bad, but skilled versus unskilled acts. When you look at religions across the board, a lot of the one god religions stress a lot on what is GOOD and what is EVIL. When you do GOOD ( I hope they actually list out what those acts include), you will be rewarded. Either now, or after your death, a higher power will check your report card and dish out rewards and punishments accordingly. I have never quite bought into that thinking. Where's the control? And as time goes by, the grey area between good and bad expands. Who is to tell me what is good? What is good for you might not be good for me!

Buddhism defines acts as skilled and unskilled due to the reaction that comes with the act. If you have performed an act that is skilled, the reaction that comes out will be favourable. If you like that, repeat that. If the result of that particular act is not what you want, the aftereffects will not be favourable. Don't repeat that. Doesn't that sound a lot more logical?

Another thing that comes with this classification of skilled and unskilled acts is to remove the bias of good and evil. We are all humans, none of us perfect yet. Buddhism strives to remove the guilt you get when you've done something 'bad'. (Bear in mind I am just talking about your day to day good or bad acts, nothing serious like peadophilia, rape, murder, etc etc). We are aware that we come into this world with a whole messed up ball of karma, both good and bad. We can't do anything about what had already happened in the past, but reflection helps. Feeling guilty and beating yourself up about bad decisions you have made will not benefit anyone. Instead, acknowledge what you have done may not have been the best, learn from it and do better in future. I find that utmost liberating in life.

I have made many mistakes in my life. I regret none of them. Each of them have taught me something new about myself or the world around me. It is not to say that I believe I'm living a great life without mistakes now, that is not the aim. I still go on benders sometimes, but at the very least I am conscious about what I am doing and fully prepared for whatever consequences that come along with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment