Thursday 12 July 2012

Headspace














We all need some time to think, reflect and brainstorm. It has been invaluable to me in the past year of change. When things around you are crumbling down, if you don't get away and just be for a while, you go insane. I also think that that is the time where you are relaxed and good ideas will flow.

Buddhism encourages meditation. That could very well be my next step. But until I feel ready to do it, I shall do it my way and call it headspace. It should theoretically be a time where you can be alone, alcohol optional and just let the floodgates open.

Reflection is very important. Take the time to have checkpoints to make sure you are heading towards the right direction. Sometimes it helps to ensure that you are still the same person you thought you were. Time and circumstances change people. You don't want to wake up one morning and realise that you've morphed into someone that you don't like. Very often all this nonsense about getting out there, acquiring more assets, climbing the corporate ladder faster than the person next to you will do that to you. Remember Scrooge?

I recently had to make a daytrip back to my hometown Ipoh for some admin stuff. I was dreading it at first, not being used to doing 3-4 hour drives in a day, but what do you know? It was great! I felt great! Popped a cd in and chilled all the way. I think when you have been driving as long as I have, you go on auto-drive in your mind and just be. Your mind is freed and just floats around. The ideas and thoughts that come out are bloody invaluable. In fact, the ideas that I got about my career were those that you can't expect to force out from a brainstorm session! I encourage solitary drives! It's excellent for stimulating brain juice!! Forget the expensive retreats in other countries. Good old north-south highway does equally well. Just be mindful of your speed as to not to contribute to the financial wellbeing of the you know whos.

I told someone lately, it's good to do a mindmap once every year or so. It organises your thoughts and helps you put them on paper.  But the excellent thing is when you look back at your old mindmap a few months later, and tick everything off, the feeling is indescribable! Mindmaps are what was taught to us in university. But of course now you can take courses to teach you how to do it. I say, get a huge piece of paper, some coloured pens and let it rip. You'd be surprised at what comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment