Saturday 28 July 2012

Brunch food


It's Sunday! Sunday brings along a host of feelings, mainly negative ones and intensifying as the day wears on with the dreaded Monday blues sometimes working overtime and checking in on Sunday nights too. Let's counter the shift with some positive influences. Brunch!

Weekends are mainly the point where most working people look forward to when they are allocated the much awaited sleep in and then hunt for a nice place to brunch at. Parents excepted of course. The driving around for tuitions and weekend activities usually precede the plans you have for the aforementioned joy.


 Let's see some of the notable brunches accumulated from here, there and everywhere. This is a ham and cheese croissant from a cafe in King Street, Perth. Super flaky pastry and fragrant grilled cheese makes this a light(ish) breakfast to have. This is boy's breakfast of choice whenever we are in western countries.

Unfortunately we haven't found anything decent in KL so far where this is concerned.
 Caffeine is a must have in the morning. Take your pick of lattes, cappuccinos, long blacks, flat whites or good old Kopi! I always believe in indulging where the drink is best known for, so when I'm in Ipoh, it's always hot KOPI, with less condensed milk. Ipoh has a particular brand of coffee beans roasted with white sugar, thus the specialty of white kopi you get in the coffeeshops there are unique to Ipoh. This picture however is more like what I drink these days because of my location now. Invested in a nespresso machine and I'm happy with my lattes and cappucinos at home.



 This breakfast brings back memories of sunday brunches when I was a child and my grandmother used to prepare this. I save it for a treat these days.  Crispy luncheon meat slices, baked beans with eggs and toast. There is usually a fried egg sunny side up as well. I must have been feeling lazy that day.

Breakfast of the champions!

This is my breakfast of choice when I am in Ipoh. Chu cheong fun with curry and deep fried turnip fritters (sar kot). This combination of crispy, spicy, salty and sweet hits the spot every single time. Horribly sinful though, I don't even want to think of the calories this plate of yum contains.

This is a favourite. A huge plate of char cheong meen you can get in almost any noodle shop in Hong Kong. Love the meat strips sauteed in bean sauce over the springy wanton noodles! A side of additional wantons in soup completes the meal. If i recall correctly this was from Mak's Noodles at Wellington St, HK.

"Corn fritters" served with crispy bacon and a side of salad. That looks like a pancake no matter how you slice it huh? I've been meaning to give that cafe a second chance, but haven't gotten around to it. It's a certain australian cafe that's in Bangsar. Packed to the rafters with customers, I did not find it particularly spectacular.

Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon. Again, the bread were supposed to be french toast but what came out obviously wasn't. The bread was thin and small. Maybe they are trying to cater to the appetites of the weight conscious, but I did not find this of good value at all. This was at a cafe near my place. Again, still need to give them another chance where food is concerned.



Lastly, a good local favourite that both boy and myself enjoy. Crispy, light, probably super unhealthy, but what the heck, you only live once. Tosai and roti canai, courtesy of your neighbourhood mamak shop! Bon appetito and have a great Sunday!




No comments:

Post a Comment